Sunday, August 24, 2008

Shindig

So last night my roomates and I had a Shindig. (I don't even know if that word has a correct spelling. Heh, I just looked up shindig, which is how you spell it by the way, and this is what the dictionary said: refers to any sort of clever party, covered dish gathering, box social, (archaic) a brawl. Also it can refer to a dance party with lots of music. I think ours was a clever brawl with covered dishes for refreshment).

Here is a picture of the aftermath this morning. Notice the fallen tree branches that have various coverings draped across them, or pillows leaned by them. They are indeed the tree branches that nearly fell on our house about a month ago. They make great party benches and whatnot.It was a potluck and those two tables were absolutely covered in delicious food ranging from vegan pasta dishes to organic lemon cookies.

That round terracotta thing was our fire pit. I think we had people playing the guitar around the fire until 2:00 in the morning. Which reminds me not only did everyone bring food, but instruments also. There were about 4 guitars, 6 drums, 1 tambourine, 1 harmonica, 1 spittoon/trumpet thingy, maracas, and more.

This is the lovely basket of plums our landlady (who lives next door) brought over. The lime, William from across the street carved and gifted us. He actually is a high-end chef at the Hilton. This is probably his most requested item, I'm sure....

I have seriously about 20 mosquito bites on my body. One is on my forehead making me look a little alien being all swollen and red.

I like community. I like coming together and sharing our yummies, our fun and love and all of that deliciousness.

1 comment:

imemary said...

Ha ha, your shindig sounded like my friend Adam's high school graduation party. It took place at the top of Hippie Hill and was probably the most fun anybody ever had at one of those things.